Tuesday, December 17, 2013

What I should have said was "Of course"

Being an evangelist I make it a point to mention that I work with Bitcoin when getting to know anyone.  Most people have heard of it now and most people still know next to nothing about it.  I will typically get the question, "So, should I get some bitcoin?"  And for some reason I always seem to answer "Yeah, not sure about that."  Why?  Why do I do this?  Some evangelist I am.  Here is a reflection of my own failings in this arena.

Bitcoin is too expensive.  This was my personal bias merging in with my general advice.  A bitcoin was $1100 at the time.  I was not willing to buy bitcoin at that time so why should I tell other people that they should?  I think the argument is valid but I need to back it up with my reasoning on the individual situation.  I tend to assess situations, give a recommendation, and not give people background data so they can make their own decision.  I need to work on that.

You are not ready for Bitcoin.  Part of my assessment of an individual is whether I feel they can start up a client, encrypt their wallet, and backup their wallet in alternative locations.  Really the barrier right now is "are you capable of being your own bank."  That kind of responsibility is just too damn high, especially if they have to figure out how these things are accomplished and not just perform the tasks.  The last thing I want to do is recommend people get bitcoin just to have them go and lose their wallet.

No, you cannot have my bitcoin.  If setting up a scheme to protect your local wallet isn't hard enough, try explaining the hoops people have to go through to get bitcoin.  If you wanted bitcoin bad enough you would already have found out how to get them on your own.  Anything I would tell you would just confirm your bias that it is too hard to get your hands on bitcoin and you will give up before you try.  The simplest way for them to get bitcoin is to purchase them from me directly.  I may be an evangelist but I am not going to be sucked dry of my bitcoin just to proclaim the good news of Bitcoin.  Afterall, bitcoin is difficult to acquire with all the hoops you have to jump through, even for me.  And yes getting sucked dry would happen.  I have found that the hardest part of selling bitcoin is telling people that you have no more to sell them.  It is like a spigot connected to suction.  You want to let a little out but staunching the flow becomes a chore.

In short, I want to be a better evangelist.  What I should be telling people is, "Of course, I think everyone should own bitcoin.  It is still not an easy thing and you will have to work to get it, but it is rewarding."

No comments:

Post a Comment